Monday, August 20, 2012

Part II: Case Study Ellen— Water, nutrition, and the right mattress


My 83 year old friend Ellen was admitted to the hospital because she was dehydrated and very weak.  While in the ER I was told that she also had the beginnings of a bedsore. And while I was glad that she was admitted there were some observations that raised concerns:
  • Just like in the ER health care professionals end up spending more time in front of a screen than in direct patient care.
  • On Day One Ellen was given a large container of ice water with a straw so she could drink water.  The person who brought it did not realize she was too weak to either lift the container or suck from the straw.  I asked that she be given water in a cup and it was written on the board.  When I came back on Day 2 there was a pitcher of warm water that she could not lift and the glass. I got her ice water and filled her cup.  During the time I was there she drank 8 ozs of water.  I told the nurse how much she had to drink but I don't think anyone was really monitoring her intake even though the reason she was admitted was dehydration.
  • Ellen had asked for tissues and while I was gone they left her two boxes---unopened.  I had to open one for her the next day when I returned.
  • Since Ellen is very weak she is not able to eat very much.  I asked if they had Ensure and they said yes. I asked that she be given chocolate Ensure because she will usually drink it.  She was given vanilla.  When I inquired I was told, "... they send what they have."  It was not till Day four that she finally got the Chocolate Ensure.
  • Although the beginning of a bedsore was pointed out to me while in the ER, Ellen was not given the special mattress to decrease the likelihood of the bedsore getting worse. 
  • The care team is supposed to write their name but the only ones who did so were the nurses.
Better than most, I understand the stressors in health care, but some small low cost actions ( water, edible food, the right mattress) would definitely make the patient experience one conducive to getting better.