Thursday, February 12, 2009

How Business Misses the Boat and the Consumer

St. John Knits represents what many executive women wear. I have shuddered at the prices but enjoy the basics and the decades of wear classic pieces provide. I also admit that I never paid full price. Many of my purchases were at last call sales and outlets. Nevertheless, these were investment pieces for many women.

So I wondered what George Sharp, Executive Vice President of Design for St. John Knits was thinking when he had Marie Gray (the founder of St. John) send a letter to her customers saying that the basic color black was being replaced by a new shade of black that would be their new standard. The new environmentally friendly collection would be called Caviar.

During these times does anyone think that women want to purchase new basics? Caviar is not black. And basics are basics. This is another example of how business thinking and strategic planning can lead people down a path that is no longer valid.

As for me this means that St. John is no longer the good investment. St. John is showing as much volatility as the market. One of my colleagues who usually paid full price will not buy the new and refers to her old classics as “Period St. John.” The lesson for business is obvious. It seems consumers adapt; and, we are not adapting by just buying more.