As we welcome in 2009 a year filled with hope and promise I thought it would be a good time to make up a list of Ten Things to do in 2009 to Improve Health.
1. Make it the norm for everyone to have health insurance and access to care.
2. Pay health care providers to communicate with consumers in the language the consumer understands.
3. Give consumers information in a useful format; there are more people who can watch a DVD than there are persons who can read.
4. Give consumers questions they can ask and provide answers so they understand what they may be told.
5. Encourage each person to talk about the level of care they want and include end of life issues.
6. Develop solutions for long term care that include a mix of private, public, and home based alternatives.
7. Encourage the sale of fresh vegetables and fruits in all communities.
8. Work to increase opportunities for persons of all ages and sizes to engage in physical activity.
9. Have EPA enforce clean air and water standards so we can breathe freely and safely drink tap water.
10. Remember that health care is more than science and numbers it is about body, mind, and spirit.
And a healthy and happy New Year to you too!